Jose Aldo requests termination of UFC contract

Jose Aldo isn’t too happy about Conor McGregor’s lightweight title shot.

Aldo is coming off of his UFC 200 win over Frankie Edgar after which he was promised a rematch against McGregor to unify the belt. The former long-time featherweight champion lost his belt to McGregor at UFC 194 in December via 13-second knockout and has been adamant about getting a rematch since. Traditionally, the UFC awards dominant champions immediate rematches when they lose their title but that wasn’t the case for Aldo. After it was announced yesterday that McGregor would be facing Alvarez for the lightweight title, he publicly requested his release from the promotion.

The 30-year old Brazilian spoke to Combate about how he feels he was unfairly treated by the promotion and what warranted his decision to want to leave the UFC.

“I heard about everything that happened through my coach," he said. "He had spoken with Sean Shelby Saturday and Sean still had no answer about anything, and asked if I could fight on November 12. My coach said that if it would be Conor, yes, and then Sean asked him if I would fight Max Holloway or Anthony Pettis. ‘Dede’ said that for those who I’d rather do a full camp and it could be on December 10. We waited until Dana publicly said that he wanted this fight with McGregor to happen. And then we expected it to happen: I’d get my rematch to unify the featherweight belts, or I’d have my belt back and fight Holloway or Pettis, since Dana [White] said all the time that Conor couldn’t keep both belts.”

Aldo says he no longer trusts UFC President Dana White, who has claimed that McGregor wouldn’t be allowed to hold onto his featherweight title if he doesn’t defend it in his next bout.

“After all this, I see I can’t trust any word from president Dana White, and who’s in charge of the promotion now is Conor McGregor,” he continued. “Since I’m not here to be an employee of McGregor, today I ask to cancel my contract with the UFC. When they offered me a fight with Frankie Edgar, Dana said that the winner would challenge McGregor or win the linear title, that he would lose his belt if he didn’t return to the featherweight division after his rematch with Nate Diaz. After being fooled so many times, I don’t feel motivated to fight in the UFC anymore."

So far, the UFC has not made any public statements on the issue but Aldo said that he would be willing to go to court to ensure his release.

jamalk599

Jamal Khayat is a writer for RoughCopy MMA. He began his training in combat sports in 2009 and has competed as an amateur in both MMA and boxing. He is currently pursuing a B.S. degree in Physics at the University of Central Florida.

0 Comments

  • No comments

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to leave comments.