Nate Diaz will step in on eleven days notice to face Conor McGregor in a welterweight, main event bout at UFC 196.
Lightweight champ Rafael dos Anjos was pulled from UFC 196’s main event match after suffering a broken toe during the final sparring session of his camp. The injury was announced this morning and the UFC was quick to find a replacement for an event that has already been postponed once.
It felt as though every fighter with a remote chance of making weight lined up for a shot at some McGregor money today. Donald Cerrone was an early favorite, and even muay thai legend Saenchai supposedly tossed his name in the hat. In the end it will be Nate Diaz, the man who called out McGregor in a mostly-banned, profanity-laden rant at UFC on Fox 18, who steps up against McGregor.
Diaz took to twitter earlier today to express his thoughts on the situation.
The new UFC 196 lineup is as follows:
- Main Event
- Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz - Welterweight
- Main Card
- Holly Holm (c) vs. Miesha Tate - Women's Bantamweight Championship
- Gian Villante vs. Ilir Latifi - Light Heavyweight
- Corey Anderson vs. Tom Lawlor - Light Heavyweight
- Amanda Nunes vs. Valentina Shevchenko - Women's Bantamweight
- Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
- Brandon Thatch vs. Siyar Bahadurzada - Welterweight
- Erick Silva vs. Nordine Taleb - Welterweight
- Vitor Miranda vs. Marcelo Guimaraes - Middleweight
- Darren Elkins vs. Chas Skelly - Featherweight
- Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
- Diego Sanchez vs. Jim Miller - Lightweight
- Justin Salas vs. Jason Saggo - Lightweight
- Julian Erosa vs. Teruto Ishihara - Featherweight